Home » LinkedIn Training » LinkedIn can save you a lot of time and make finding alumni easy

LinkedIn can save you a lot of time and make finding alumni easy

When you look at the number of people in the UK that are on LinkedIn it can be quite daunting. What can you do to help you stand out amongst 37 million others? How should you use it to help you, your school and your alumni?

If you were to go looking for an educational establishment (primary, secondary, higher or admin) on LinkedIn within the UK you might be surprised to find over 1.7 million users – that is almost 5% of users, the other 95% being made up from a wide spectrum of business people and industries.

The other challenge is social media, we all know social media, right? But LinkedIn isn’t social media, yes you read that right, it is a social network and that makes it different, it wants different things, works in different ways, and that confuses people too.

  • Making LinkedIn work is a combination of things:
  • Good profile
  • Good network (notice network not audience)
  • Talking to people (notice talking not sharing content)
  • Evidence of Excellence (before someone meets you)
  • Demonstrating some great behaviours, values, and purpose

But many fall short, not knowing how to do it well, or what to write or do.

Even within the free version of LinkedIn you can easily find anyone (and everyone!) whose profile includes a reference to you, wherever they have ended up in the world, or even ex members of the teaching staff through their work experience – it’s simple and takes seconds when you know how. Using LinkedIn is so much easier than hours trawling records, expensive data sets, and hope.

If you are not sure how to make LinkedIn work for you or your educational establishment here are some simple tips you can follow to make your LinkedIn profile stand out from the crowd:

  • Make sure you have a profile on LinkedIn! Ok it’s an obvious one, but you might have thought you set up a profile years ago when LinkedIn first started when in fact you hadn’t.
  • Ensure your profile is complete – a half finished profile or one with little information in it looks like you can’t be bothered and think how that would reflect on your perception, reputation, and professional standing.
  • Include a professional photo of yourself – don’t include any of these types of photos found here.
  • Make sure your headline includes some stand out feature about yourself and about how you empower and enable students, rather than just stating your job title. In reality people rarely care about your title but do care about your focus and outcomes.
  • Include your contact details – email address, phone number, and website address in your contact section on your LinkedIn profile. It is much more difficult for ex students, alumni, and more to engage with you if you don’t include them!
  • Make sure your summary includes information about you, not just your school, college or University. This needs to reflect you – why you, your outlook, your approach to education and your value.
  • Share regular updates on LinkedIn to keep in touch with your network, remind them of what you do without being pushy – this keeps you in the forefront of their minds so when someone asks them if they know a good event, school, or where their ex-school “mates” go they will immediately think of you.

We hope these tips are helpful, but if you’d like some assistance to help you and your educational establishment stand out from the crowd why not come along to the talk at XXX and listen to one of the worlds experts on LinkedIn.

We have helped over 10,000 people with their LinkedIn use over the last 14 years, over 140 Plc’s and a lot of educational establishments to drive growth within LinkedIn and you can find out more about the speaker by clicking here.

3 April 2024



Facebooktwitterlinkedin